With the excitement of 2019 still in the air, you might be looking for a few goals to complete by the end of the year. When making your resolutions don’t forget to set a few for your home.
Organize And Declutter
The longer live in your home the more you accumulate. If you don’t stay on top of things clutter and disorganization can take over. Here are a few tips for downsizing and keeping things organized:
- Practice the one in, one out rule—where you donate or sell an item every time you buy something new.
- Invest in item-specific organizational tools such as hangers, storage boxes, and furniture with built-in storage.
- Minimize paper clutter by scanning and saving documents electronically.
Make A Projects List
As a home owner, you must make ongoing investments to maintain the value of your home, and keep it looking its best. This includes ongoing maintenance, interior design projects, exterior landscaping, appliance and home system upgrades, and remodeling. This should include a seasonal checklist of which some items need to be completed by an industry professional—such as inspecting and tuning up your water heater, cleaning your gutters, and inspecting your roof. Your project list should include a budget for each category and how much you will set aside each month to ensure you don’t get behind.
Reduce Your Utility Costs
Setting a goal to reduce your carbon footprint in 2019 will also reduce your monthly utility costs. Some of the best places to start are:
- Transitioning to energy efficient products and appliances.
- Cleaning your furnace filters at least every 6 months, and keeping your HVAC system cleaned and maintained.
- Adding, replacing or upgrading your insulation.
- Investing in smart home products that help you to improve your energy savings.
Deep Clean Your Home
Beyond clearing the clutter, keeping things organized, and staying on top of weekly cleaning you must perform a deep clean no less than once each year. This includes cleaning the ceilings, walls, carpets, window treatments, and behind and under all furniture. This is a daunting task but these items are required for ongoing maintenance as well as health and hygiene. If this isn’t a task you are up for yourself NoVA cleaning companies are available for deep cleaning.
Looking To Buy Or Sell In 2019?
If this is the year you have decided to purchase your first home, or downsize or upgrade your current home the team at Jerry Sardone Realty is here to assist. Reach out today to discuss your 2019 real estate goals!